Farmers told many dog owners that most of this autumn’s conkers pose a higher risk to pets than in previous years.
For those who don’t know about conkers, these are hazardous crops for dogs. If pets eat them, it is quite bad. Usually, dogs don’t eat them because of their size (although small in comparison to other crops). However, this year, farmers predict that these will be much smaller due to the summer heatwave which left the chestnuts shrivelled.
Conkers are very dangerous for dogs
These contain a chemical substance called ‘aesculin’ which is extremely toxic for dogs. Usually, whenever a dog eats a conker, he will have his airways block. This leads to asphyxiation. In worst case scenarios, the death of the animal is a sure outcome.
That is why precaution measures are more important this year. Since these crops will be much smaller, farmers and dog owners have begun to secure perimeters.
How to prevent dogs from eating them?
For the upcoming autumn, the local population is preparing to protect dogs at all cost. Right now, the important thing is to make it very hard for dogs to gain access to conkers.
If by any means, you believe that your dog ate a conker, you must rush to the vet. Dr Alison Thomas, she treated a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who was rushed into the clinic Blue Cross with severe vomiting and diarrhoea. “The dog was clearly very unwell. The vomit contained chewed up conkers. Knowing conkers can irritate the gastrointestinal tract we put the dog on a drip and provided him with pain relief and medication to ease the vomiting. We also found an obstruction in the intestines from an intact conker which required surgery to remove”.