4 for 3 on Purina® diets here

Advertisement

My dog ate mango

Pomeranian dog eating mango advice

Mango flesh should only be an occasional treat for your dog.

© Shutterstock

There are two sides to feeding your dog mango. One is relatively safe and tasty, the other is potentially lethal.

By Dr. Katy Ellison MA VetMB MRCVS

Updated on the 11/08/2020, 15:48

In the summer months what could be more refreshing than a slice of juicy mango? As your dog sits gazing at you while you eat, you may have wondered whether you can safely offer them a piece. Well the answer is yes, as long as you remove the stone and peel first and, as with all treats, feed everything in moderation.

Can dogs eat mango seeds?

Dogs should never be allowed to have mango seeds. They are relatively large, measuring up to 7cm long, and can got lodged in the intestines, causing a life-threatening obstruction or may cause your dog to choke. If the hard outer shell is chewed through, a toxic chemical called amygdalin is released. This is converted into cyanide when it is digested and cyanide is highly toxic.

Talk to a vet online. Visit myfamilyvets.co.uk

What happens if a dog eats a mango seed?

Mangos have a large flat stone in their centre that contains a seed measuring four to seven centimetres long. You should never allow your dog to either eat or play with a mango seed. They are a choking hazard with potentially serious consequences if one did get lodged in your dog’s throat. If swallowed, when they pass into your dogs’ intestines there is a high risk that they will get stuck, creating an intestinal obstruction. This is a life-threatening situation that is likely to require emergency surgery.

Even if your dog managed to swallow the seed without incident, there is a risk of toxicity. Mango seeds contain a substance called amygdalin, which when digested breaks down into hydrogen cyanide. Cyanide is poisonous, although in reality your dog would probably have to chew up and digest a number of mango seeds to suffer toxic effects.

Can my dog eat dried mango?

Mango flesh is sweet tasting and a good source of vitamins, yet it has a high sugar content, with the average fresh mango containing in the region of 28g of sugar. The drying process concentrates the sugar with the result that dried fruit contains up to four times the amount of sugar per gram than fresh fruit. Regularly eating food with a high sugar content increases the risk of your dog developing a number of health problems, including obesity, heart disease and diabetes. So while dried mango in moderation will not harm your dog in the short term, there are more suitable treats to feed your dog.

Talk to a vet online. Visit myfamilyvets.co.uk

What happens if my dog eats too many mangoes?

Mango flesh is non-toxic to dogs and many dogs like its sweet taste. But if your dog is not used to eating mango or your dog over-indulges, sickness and diarrhoea may be the result. This will usually resolve without treatment but, if you are in any doubt, contact a veterinary surgeon for advice.

Which fruits are bad for dogs?

Many fruits have a sweet taste that dogs enjoy and, in moderation, make a tempting treat. The main exception to this is grapes, which whether fresh, or dried as raisins or sultanas, are highly toxic, causing kidney failure in dogs. Some dogs seem to be less susceptible to their toxic effects and could eat a bunch of grapes with no adverse consequences, while other dogs will develop kidney failure as a result of eating a very small number. Currently there is no way of establishing which group a dog fits into. So as a result all dogs must be assumed to be as risk from eating grapes because, by the time signs of kidney disease have developed, it will usually be too late to reverse the toxic effects. If you think your dog has eaten grapes, telephone a veterinary surgery as soon as possible.

Citrus fruits are probably also best avoided. Their effects are much less serious than those of grapes, but they can cause a gastroenteritis (an upset tummy).

Are mango seeds toxic for dogs?

Mango seeds contain something called amygdalin, which turns into a form of cyanide when it is digested. The seed has a hard outer shell, so the amygdalin is sealed inside unless the mango seed is chewed or crushed. So mango seeds are toxic to dogs, but unless the seed is chewed, the greater risk comes from their physical size and the potential for them to cause an obstruction in a dog’s intestines.

Talk to a vet online. Visit myfamilyvets.co.uk

Can mangoes kill dogs?

The only part of a mango that is safe for dogs to eat is the flesh. The mango seed can cause dogs to choke and could result in complete obstruction of the airway, if it lodged at the back of the throat. If seeds or pieces of the leathery skin are swallowed, they can cause a complete obstruction of the intestines, which is a life-threatening emergency.

Can mangoes hurt dogs?

Feeding your dog mango flesh in moderation is unlikely to cause your dog serious harm. The same cannot be said of the skin and the seed, both of which can cause choking if lodged in the throat or intestinal obstruction if lodged in the gut. Both scenarios are life-threatening.

How much mango can a dog eat?

Mango flesh can make a tasty treat for your dog, especially in the summer when frozen chunks make a cooling snack. But it is relatively high in sugar, so should only be fed in moderation. As a guide, you should only give your dog an absolute maximum of one or two slices a couple of times a week. There are more appropriate snacks available for dogs though, so it is best kept as an occasional treat. If you feed too much, the sugar content will contribute to weight gain in the short term and obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and arthritis in the longer term. Too much may also cause mild gastroenteritis (an upset tummy), especially if your dog is not used to eating it. Never feed your dog the skin or the seed.

Talk to a vet online. Visit myfamilyvets.co.uk

When should I see a vet?

If you think your dog may have swallowed a mango seed or a piece of the skin, you should contact a veterinary surgeon for advice, even if your dog appears fine. Eating mango flesh would not normally require veterinary treatment, but if your dog develops sickness or diarrhoea, especially if your dog is lethargic or off thier food, then you should make an appointment to see your veterinary surgeon.

Read also