😺 Take the cat personality test NOW


Boy devastated when beloved dog dies after eating BBQ leftovers left on beach

brown and white springer spaniel with neon orange bandage around front leg dog-sad
© Nolan Holmes - Facebook

A family pet died after eating leftovers dumped on the beach. Now its devastated dog parents are sharing the sad story to prevent the same thing happening to other pooches.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 15/07/2020, 21:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:26

Bandit, a Welsh Springer Spaniel, died after eating leftover corn on the cob during one of his daily walks across a beach in Lytham St Annes, near Blackpool.

The last walkies

Bandit swallowed the cob's core, which then became lodged in his lower intestines.  

A vet managed to remove the obstruction. But poor Bandit had developed a dangerous infection in his intestine that the vets just couldn't treat. And so with no other option available, they were forced to put Bandit to sleep

Bandit's dog parents -  Fran Howarth and Nolan Holmes - were left devastated by the news. But they weren't as heartbroken as Bandit's human brother and best friend in the whole world - 5-year-old Michael. 



Posted by Nolan Holmes on Saturday, July 11, 2020

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Fran said:

"My son was absolutely beside himself. He's an only child, so he and Bandit were really close. He wasn't able to say goodbye and that has really upset him."

Fran also had some harsh word for irresponsible beachgoers:

 "I cannot tell you how angry I am. It's not hard to take your rubbish."

An important message that could save a dog's life

Fran hopes this tragic story will teach people about the dangers of dumping leftovers at the beach. 

"Lots of people don't know that the centre of corn on the cob is fatal for dogs, said Fran. "We just want people to realise the devastation this has caused."