Trending :

Advertisement

Zoflora poisoning: hidden dangers for dogs in cult cleaning products

cocker spaniel puppy with allergic reaction and healthy adult dog-serious
© Donna Brydon - Facebook & mrshinchhome - Instagram

A dog owner has spoken out about the dangers of Zoflora cleaning products after her 12-week-old Cocker Spaniel puppy suffered a near-fatal reaction.

By Natasha James , 14 Jan 2020

If you're a fan of Mrs Hinch then you can’t fail to have heard of Zoflora, the “wonder-product” touted by the cleaning guru.

It smells great and according to Mrs Hinch, it does a great job, too. But, as a dog owner herself, she may not be aware that the product may be harmful to dogs.


Dog owners are being encouraged to be very cautious after a Cocker Spaniel puppy ingested the product and suffered a life-threatening reaction.

A worrying visit to the vet

Owner Donna Brydon took to Facebook after her puppy, Skye, suffered a worrying reaction when she visited a friend. She posted a pic of the puppy with swollen eyes and said,

“I thought my poor furbaby was on her way out. She was so sleepy and her eyes swelled up. Straight to the vet and this was the answer."

It seems that Donna's pal had recently cleaned her floors with Zoflora – not realising it could be harmful to animals.

A toxic chemical

Zoflora cleaning products contain chemical benzalkonium chloride which can be poisonous to dogs and cause ulcers and loss of appetite if pooches consume or come into contact with it.

A spokeswoman for Zoflora said,

“Zoflora has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home. As with all disinfectants and other household chemicals, ensure that Zoflora is used safely. When correctly diluted, Zoflora disinfectant may be used where most pets are kept."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Sophie Hinchliffe (@mrshinchhome) on

Symptoms and precautions

Symptoms include swollen eyes, ulcers on the tongue, loss of appetite and excessive drooling.

If you're using the product to wash your floors, allow plenty of time for the floor to dry before you allow your pets to walk across it.

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested the product, take them to the vet immediately.

We wish little Skye a speedy recovery.