đŸ¶ Find out your dog's personality

Advertisement

Labradoodle x-rayed: Diagnosis leaves owners terrified

x-ray-of-dog's-intestine dog-wow
© Chelsea Finn - Facebook

It all started with a warm, beautiful, fun day out at the beach. But it ended with a beloved family dog fighting for her life at the emergency vet clinic.

By Justine Seraphin

Published on the 22/06/2021, 18:00, Updated on the 24/06/2021, 08:53

Chelsea Finn loved nothing more than taking her Labradoodle, Dolly, to the beach. Dolly loved to play and run on the sand, going to fetch the ball for hours at a time!

But one day, things took a turn for the worst.

 

A terrifying moment

After coming home from the beach, Dolly began to throw up. She couldn’t keep anything down, started acting lethargic, and just kept getting sick over and over again. Worried, Chelsea rushed her to the vet’s.

There, the vets performed an x-ray and realised that Dolly’s intestines were full of sand. She had probably accidentally ingested some as she fetched the ball all day at the beach. 

Unfortunately, she had ingested so much that the sand was causing a huge blockage. The only way to save her would be to perform surgery. The vets warned Chelsea this would be tricky, and recovery could take a very long time.

Sand ingestion is very bad for dogs

But thankfully, the operation was successful and Dolly was saved! After spending two days at the clinic, she was finally discharged and able to go home to be with her mum again.

Now that summer is here, it’s likely we’ll be taking our dogs to the beach. But there are a lot of hidden dangers on the beach, including sharp rocks and shells, strong tides, risk of heatstroke, and of course, sand ingestion. Keep a close eye on your fur baby!