Golden retriever behind tulips

Many flowers and plants are toxic to dogs.

© Shutterstock

Are flowers poisonous for dogs?

By Dr Hester Mulhall MA, VetMB, MRCVS Veterinarian

Updated on the

Dogs often like to eat all sorts of things, but when it comes to plants and flowers, you really need to keep your pet away from them.

While it is common for dogs to eat grass (if they are feeling sick), they might also be tempted to eat other plants and flowers on walks, in the garden or even indoors. Unfortunately, there is a long list of these that can be poisonous to dogs, including some very common ones. Many of these will only cause stomach upsets, unless eaten in very large quantities, but some can be lethal, even in smaller amounts.

You need to help your pet avoid eating them by keeping pot plants or cut flowers out of reach, and preventing unsupervised access to the garden, if your dog has a tendency to munch on things.

What are the most poisonous plants or flowers for dogs?

The following list is not exhaustive, but includes some of the more common plants and flowers that are toxic to dogs: Amaryllis, Azalea, Chrysanthemum, Conkers, Crocus, Daffodil, Delphinium, Elder, Foxglove, Geranium, Holly, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Iris, Gladioli, Lily of the valley, Mistletoe, Poinsetta, Ragwort, Rhubarb, Snowdrops, Tulip and Yew.

Can dogs eat flowers?

The problem is that dogs will sometimes eat flowers, but this is best avoided due to many of them being toxic to our four-legged friends.

Will dogs eat poisonous plants?

Yes, unfortunately dogs will sometimes eat things that are poisonous, including plants, which is why we humans have to do our best to keep dogs away from such toxic plants.

Are roses poisonous to dogs?

The flowers of a rose are probably fairly safe, but eating their buds or leaves could cause stomach problems.

Are fuchsias poisonous to dogs?

Fuchias are unlikely to cause a problem to your pet.

Are trees poisonous to dogs?

Some trees can be poisonous, if their leaves or kernels are eaten. For example, conkers and acorns are toxic to dogs.

Are house plants poisonous to dogs?

Yes, some house plants can be poisonous. If in doubt, keep them out of reach and do not leave them in a room in which you leave your pet unattended.

Are marigolds poisonous to dogs?

This depends on the variety of marigolds, as some are OK, while others are likely to cause a stomach upset.

My dog ate a poisonous plant what should I do?

If they have only eaten a very small amount (one or two bites) and are not showing any symptoms, they are probably OK to just monitor for now. If they have eaten quite a lot or are showing any symptoms (including lethargy, vomiting and diarrhoea) then contact a vet for advice.

What flowers are dogs allergic to?

Triggering an allergic reaction is different from a plant being poisonous. An allergy is when your pet has an inappropriate immune system response to something. Allergies will vary between individuals and not all dogs are allergic to plants (but they will still get unwell from eating something toxic). Some dogs will be allergic to certain flowers, weeds or even grass.

An allergy, such as a dog may have to grass, might result in a skin reaction often referred to as hives. It can also cause itching, discharge from the nose or eyes, respiratory tract irritation or coughing. In more severe cases it can lead to an anaphylactic reaction, which can be life-threatening and includes swelling, constricted airways and low blood pressure. If you think your pet is having anaphylaxis, contact a vet as an emergency.

To find out what your pet is allergic to, there are some tests that a vet might be able to carry out. These can include blood tests or skin reaction tests.

More advice on...

What did you think of this advice article?

Thanks for your feedback !

Thanks for your feedback !

Leave a comment
Connect to comment
Want to share this article?