🐶 Find out your dog's personality

Advertisement

Puppy's stomach feels hard to the touch: Vet can’t believe what he finds

puppy at the vets dog-wow
© 7NEWS Australia - YouTube

Shady the foster puppy was extremely lucky a few weeks ago when his foster mum realised something was wrong and rushed him to the emergency vet clinic.

 

By Justine Seraphin

Published on the 19/06/2021, 21:00, Updated on the 22/06/2021, 08:48

Dogs are known for eating anything that they find. This is, unfortunately, very dangerous.

Indeed, dogs often hoover up things that are very bad for their health. In fact, vets see dogs in this situation every single day!

 

Dog eating stones

A little over a month ago, Belynda Armstrong noticed that her foster puppy’s stomach was bloated. Curious as to why that might be, she felt the pup’s belly and was horrified by what she discovered. It was hard and in some places, had sharp edges.

She rushed the pup, named Shady, to the vets, and after closer examination, the health experts concluded that the pup had eaten rocks!

Emergency surgery for puppy

The vets had to operate to remove the stones from Shady’s stomach. But the surprises didn’t end there. As they removed the rocks, they realised that Shady had ingested 61 of them! The vets had never seen anything like it.

Thankfully, they were able to save Shady’s life. He is now fully on the road to recovery and is even available for adoption. We do hope he loses interest in stones though! 

Here's his full story: