Cats may not need as much exercise as dogs do, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get any physical and mental activity. In fact, many cats end up with health problems such as obesity or depression because their owners unknowingly neglect their basic needs.
One of the things your cat desperately needs is the opportunity to play and to exercise their hunting instincts. And that’s exactly what cat toys are designed for. However, you don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money at the pet store to give your pet what they need. You can make a perfectly safe and entertaining cat toy all by yourself! Just follow this simple guide:
What you’ll need to make a DIY fishing rod toy for cats
- Two different pieces of felt
- Chopstick or think stick
How to make a DIY fishing rod toy for cats
- Get two different pieces of felt
- Cut the felt into the shape of leaves
- Get a piece of thread and make a knot at the end of it
- Poke a hole through your leaves, pompoms, and bells, and pass the thread through
- Make a knot underneath each item to hold them in place
- Tie the other end of your thread to your stick
- Dangle the personalised thread in front of your house panther and watch them have the time of their life!
⏰ Preparation time: Depending on how intricate you want your multiple-level fishing rod toy to be, this DIY could take you between 10-20 minutes.
? Wamiz tip: Your cat can play with this toy even when you’re not around, if you secure the toy to the edge of a platform, such as a desk, or table. If you choose to do this, make sure you secure the toy safely, so that it doesn’t risk falling onto your cat. And remember, engaging in play with your cat is important for their mental health and for your bonding. So don’t rely on “self-play” items only.
? Wamiz cat rating: 10 out of 10! This toy has been keeping Bibou entertained ever since he first tried it out!
Loved this DIY project? You’ll love these too:
- DIY: How to make a cardboard cat toy in under 1 minute
- DIY: How to make a mobile toy for cats in 15 minutes
- DIY: How to make a simple cardboard cat house
- DIY: Interactive toys for cats
- Halloween-themed Pet Chef Recipes and DIY: Pumpkin biscuits, fetch toys, tug toys
- Halloween-themed Pet Chef Recipes and DIY: Puppuccinos, tug toy, storage bucket