Kazlass

Kazzlass
Kazzlass

I have a semi  feral  cat I have had her for 18 months never let her out as she can be a little skittish but she is desperate to get out if I let her willl she come back. She can be quite cuddly when I am sat down but can run away when I stand up 

1 answer
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi!

This is such a tough question and a constant debate amongst pet owners and animal behaviourists.

The bottom line is, if you let your cat go outside, you are taking a risk. The outdoors is full of dangers, including cars, other animals, toxic plants/foods, etc.

However, an outdoor cat may have a better quality of life. Cats are territorial animals, who like to roam, explore, and hunt. 

Outdoor cats are generally happier than indoor cats, but don't live as long. It's really up to your own judgement as a cat owner.

You've had your cat for 18 months, which is enough time for them to feel as though your home is their home. If you want to test out the outdoor life for them, you can. However, I would recommend doing these 9 very important things first.

Here are some articles that may help you if you want to make them an outdoor cat:

Here are some articles that may help you if you want to keep them an indoor cat:

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?