HELP! My dog ​​ate a dead rat, is it dangerous?

matthewjones
matthewjones

Hello I was taking my dog ​​for a walk and I lost sight of her for like a minute or two and when I turned around I saw Rose eating a dead rat!!! So, I was wondering are there any risk for my dog?

Why would she do that?... 😟

4 Answers
elliesanderson
elliesanderson

It is important that you go and see your vet urgently. Indeed, it is possible that the rat was killed by anti-coagulants, which can consequently poison your dog. It is essential to go there before any symptoms start appearing because, if it is indeed anticoagulants, it will be too late to treat it (because anticoagulants prevent the blood from forming a clot to stop the bleeding even small bleeding). It is necessary to act within 24 hours after the poisoning. Your vet may do several tests to find out if your dog is intoxicated with anticoagulants or not. If these tests are positive, the main treatment will be administration of Vitmain K by your veterinarian. Hoping to have helped you, good luck.

elisabethrobinson
elisabethrobinson

Yes follow Ellie's advice. A vet must see the dog ASAP. We gave this treatment once to my dog ​​as a preventive measure because she had barely sniffed rat poison....

pauljohnson
pauljohnson

Monitor your dog's general condition: unusual fatigue? does he eat? what about his stool? Any change in state / behaviour that should alarm you. Do not leave it unattended for the next few days. If you notice a change call your vet.

danielbrown
danielbrown

Yes there is a risk that the rat did not die of natural death but of poisoning, which of course would also poison your doggie. I advise you to watch your dog closely and see if she changes her behaviour, if so, go straight to the vet! I am not a vet but the main symptoms to watch out for are: vomiting and diarrhoea. Hopefully a vet will still check your dog as there are certainly other symptoms to watch out for.

Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?