Positive reinforcement

matthewjones
matthewjones

Hello, 

I've been hearing a lot the term "positive reinforcement" lately and I was wondering what it meant... Do you guys know?

Thank you in advance

5 answers
elliesanderson
elliesanderson

Hi matthewjones, 

Positive reinforcement is a reward based training. This means that when you are teaching the dog something, you have to reward your dog with praises, treats and or toys (whatever your dog likes). Therefore your dog will associate what he is doing to something good. It's a very effective way to teach your dog new tricks and get him to behave well. It will definitely build trust between your dog and yourself.

Reply to
julietmurphy
julietmurphy

I train my dogs using the positive reinforcement technique and it's working really well! They are the best my two dogs. I tried with my cat, but, well, it didn't work as much, I think he's more interested in napping than learning tricks.

Reply to
elisabethrobinson
elisabethrobinson

Like Ellie said, positive reinforcement is a reward based training method. It's been scientifically proven that this method is the one that works best in dog training. There are other methods like negative reinforcement or even positive punishment (use of shock/choke collars, etc), but they're not as effective. They actually teach your dog to be afraid of you and it slows down the whole training process if not stops it completely. Treats, toys, and cuddles all the way!

Reply to
danielbrown
danielbrown

Dog does what you want him to = give him a treat. It's that simple!

Reply to
jimdavis
jimdavis

Yes, what Daniel said! Basically your dog is more likely to repeat a behaviour if he's given something nice every time he does it.

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?