The heartwarming moment Josie got to taste chocolate has gone viral, with 2.3 million views since it was first posted on the 30th of October.
"16 1/2 years and girlfriend finally got some chocolate", read the overlay by owner Lindsey on the video of her beloved dog Josie's last night.
A special treat
Josie delicately takes the treat from Lindsey's hand, almost in disbelief that she can finally try some chocolate.
While chocolate can be toxic to dogs due to the presence of caffeine and theobromine, it can be given to dogs in their final moments, explains behaviourist Paula Stewart. As chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, owners should exercise caution nonetheless, only offering the tasty treat to their four-legged friend in close proximity to the time of euthanasia.
The final farewell
Lindsey later went on the explain that the whole family had joined Josie on the floor that night, sharing a people dinner with her, and giving her all the cuddles and love she deserved.
Many commented on Lindsey's video, to share their own goodbye stories. One viewer remembered, "my sweet baby got raisinets right before our goodbye. No one should go to heaven without tasting chocolate". Another responded, "my Gracie's last treat was tacos. Her eyes lit up so bright, once last time".