My cat likes bite me. Why?

Nicole_02
Nicole_02

My cat has grown up a lot, but she has become more and more fond of biting me. Sometimes she will bite me while playing with me. Why is this happening? Should I do something?

1 answer
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi! Thanks for getting in touch!

Biting during play is just part of a cat's natural behaviour! Cats are hunters, and often mimic hunting behaviours such as pouncing, biting, and clawing when they play. This doesn't make it ok, especially as your cat is getting bigger. Here's what you can do to mitigate the biting:

• Use toys that put a distance between you and your pet, e.g. wand toys or balls
  • Stop playing immediately when she bites you. Over time, she'll learn that biting = end to the play session, and hopefully, this will encourage her to stop.
  • Redirect her aggression to toys. When she gets overstimulated, throw her a toy that she can claw and bite, such as a soft toy.
  • Reward positive behaviour. When she plays gently, don't hesitate to give her a little treat.
  • Know the warning signals! If she flicks her tail, flattens her ears, or dilates her pupils, she may be overstimulated and on the verge of biting. That's when you need to steer clear!

Hope this helps!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?