thinning fur

sarjam1
sarjam1

My spinone has started to have thinning fur on his back legs, sarted with what looked like a small infection hard lumps slighlty scabby but not iritating him too much the skin underneath is clean but has started to go mottled freckly and patches of hair loss, generally ok no change in his eating, drinking or mood and doesn't seem to bother him too much but his coat definitely looks like its thinning. 

Had a couple of weeks of steroids form the vet but not sure this has made it worse? 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2 answers
elliesanderson
elliesanderson

Hi! How old is your dog? Thinning of the coat is pretty normal as dogs get older. But the bald patches and scabs are less so... I definitely think you should get a second opinion, especially if your vet didn't offer any explanations ....

Here are some ideas that I thought of:

• Allergies (could be to food, environmental allergens, or even certain grooming products).
  • Infections (could be bacterial, fungal, or parasitic)
  • Autoimmune disorders
  • Hormonal imbalances (could be hypothyroidism or Cushing's disease)
  • Nutritional deficiencies (could be due to poor diet or nutritional imbalances)
  • Mites or fleas (could have led to excessive itching)
  • Side effects of medication 

I would definitely go see your vet for a follow up, or even go see another vet. A good vet might suggest additional tests such as skin scrapings, biopsies, or blood work to determine the exact cause of the problem. I'm not a medical professional in any way shape or form, so please verify what I'm saying with someone who knows what they're doing!

Hope your dog feels better soon!

Reply to
jbsmith
jbsmith

It's good that you've consulted your vet for your spinone's skin issue. If you're worried about the steroids, consider discussing your concerns with your vet for clarification. They can give you the best guidance based on your dog's condition.

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?