Dog with arthritis

suziehill
suziehill

Hello, 

My dog Ash is starting to have arthritis. What could I do in my house to make his life easier?

Thank you in advance for your answers

2 answers
jameswilson
jameswilson

Hello Suziehill, 

I totally understand your concer, one of my dogs (who sadly passed away) had arthritis and it was so sad to see him struggle to even walk. It's really good to consider reorganise your house to help your dog. Here is what you can do:

• Add slip-resistant surfaces
  • Provide a supportive bedding
  • Elevate your dog's food and water bowls
  • Offer mobility assistance

Hope that will help your dog!

Reply to

Hi, agree with everything in the above answer and would also like to add that it is good to keep your dog moving to ease stiff joints, aches and pains. Nothing excessive obviously due to his condition but controlled leash walks or a simple a walk around the house every few hours to prevent him from laying in one position for too long.

keeping your dog slim is also important due to the pressure exerted on his limbs! Ramps, or mini stairs onto the sofa would be good to prevent jumping (if they're allowed ofcourse). Lastly you could watch some YouTube tutorials on how to give soft physio therapy/ massages to your dog aswell.

Finally if you suspect chronic discomfort then non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs NSAIDS, like ibuprofen can help ease joint pain. DO NOT GIVE ONE FROM YOUR CUPBOARD. Your vet may prescribe these to ease your dogs discomfort and must be dosed accordingly to your dogs weight.

Reply to

Access the rest of the content after the ad

Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?