cat drools

AriannaC
AriannaC

My cat drools, but overall he eats drinks and plays. What can cause this? 

5 answers
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi there!

Thanks for getting in touch! Some cats drool more than others, and like for humans, it can happen when your cat is very relaxed, or when they’re anticipating food!

However, if your cat isn’t typically a ‘drooler’ and has suddenly started to drool, it could be that they’re suffering from a health problem. Drooling could be caused by any of the following:

• Broken or missing teeth
  • Foreign object stuck in the mouth or throat
  • Poisoning
  • Gum disease
  • Cancer
  • Kidney problems

Just to be on the safe side, I would take your cat to the vet. While he isn’t showing any other symptoms right now, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

Hopefully it’s nothing. Best of luck!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
c20Isabella
c20Isabella

It may be normal for your cat to drool when it is happy or relaxed.
When a pet is acutely frightened or stressed or traveling, or if it exhibits other symptoms as well as drooling, there is cause for concern.
Gingivitis and Stomatitis, or other dental diseases.

If you are still unsure why your cat is drooling it’s best to get them checked by a vet. Your cat will need to see a vet if they:
start drooling suddenly.
Keep drooling.
You may also experience other symptoms such as vomiting,
pawing at your mouth, or lack of appetite.
You may have blood in your saliva. are acting differently from normal.

Reply to
Pawrulz
Pawrulz

That can be caused by many multiple reasons but most probably it is because of worms in her stomach, you can use the gutwell powder in your cat food it would be beneficial for your cat.

Reply to
Anawilliam850
Anawilliam850

Thank you for your replays, I was looking for the same topic

Reply to
Linda2003
Linda2003

yes it is possible that your cat is showing signs of worm disease go to the vet if necessary

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?