My dog ​​ate chocolate ice cream, is it serious?

elisabethrobinson
elisabethrobinson

My dog ​​has eaten 3/4 of my chocolate pistachio ice cream what can I do ??? Is that bad?! Thank you in advance

4 Answers
elliesanderson
elliesanderson

Hello,

What is toxic in chocolate is the theobromine, a molecule found in dark chocolate and in milk chocolate. The toxicity threshold depends on your dog's weight: dark chocolate is toxic if your dog ingests more than 2 grams of chocolate per pound of his body weight. Milk chocolate is poisonous if your dog ingests more than 10g per kilogram of his body weight. Symptoms of poisoning appear 2 to 4 hours after ingesting chocolate. These include vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, increased heart rate, then, if the intoxication is severe, convulsions and heart rhythm disturbances. If you have any doubts about the possible poisoning of your dog, call your vet. Regards,

pauljohnson
pauljohnson

It is especially the "real" chocolate which is toxic, the dark one with a lot cocoa. In this ice cream it must be chocolate "aroma" so I don't think it's very serious. But maybe call your vet just to be sure

lilythompson
lilythompson

I know that chocolate is very toxic for dogs but maybe it is different with chocolate ice cream because the concentration is not the same but anyway, stay vigilant, especially if your dog starts to vomit and/or has diarrhoea, do not hesitate to consult!

Wamiz_UK
Wamiz_UK

If you need more information about what to do if your dog eats chocolate, have a look at this article: https://wamiz.co.uk/dog/advice/21328/my-dog-ate-chocolate-what-should-i-do

Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?