Top 6 homemade cat food recipes
Sick of buying commercial cat food which is full of unknown, nasty ingredients? Check out these homemade cat food recipes and give your kitty a health-boost
Published on the 19/12/2019, 15:28
The shelves are bursting with commercial cat food, but many of them are full of mysterious chemicals, additives and flavourings which aren't good for your cat’s sensitive stomach.
It’s important to find a diet which keeps your cat nutritionally-fulfilled, satisfied and ultimately, healthy. And provided you’ve done your research and know the ins and outs of cat nutrition, there’s no reason why you can’t make it yourself. That way, you know exactly what's going into your beloved pet's little body.
Homemade cat food: things to know
Homemade cat food is a great idea for those who know their stuff. But if you’re not clued up on what your cat needs from their diet, you’ll need to do some thorough research first.
The most common problem with homemade cat food is a nutritional deficiency. Although commercial cat foods are often overly processed and full of additives, they are always complete and balanced. This is required by law.
That’s not to say that all homemade cat diets will lead to a nutritional deficiency. As long as you know exactly what vitamins, minerals and food groups your cat needs and in which quantities, you should be good to go.
However, we’d always recommend discussing a homemade diet with your vet before committing. They may recommend some specific supplements to add to your cat’s food, depending on their unique health concerns.
So, we’ve piled together some of our favourite homemade cat food recipes for you. Remember that you shouldn’t solely feed your cat one of these recipes. Using a variety of different meats and some fish is essential and will help meet your cat’s nutritional needs.
Homemade cat food recipe 1: Easy chicken and carrots
- 1 ½ pounds chicken
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon powdered eggshells
- 1,000mg taurine
- Boil the chicken. Drain, and allow cooling.
- Blanch the chopped carrots, cooking until they’re tender.
- Finely chop the chicken meat.
- Mix in the carrots, eggshells and taurine.
Homemade cat food recipe 2: Weight loss food
Is your kitty piling on the pounds? Use this homemade weight loss cat food recipe to kickstart their diet and help them shed the extra weight. You should only use this diet until your cat’s ideal weight has been met and don’t use it for over 1 month.
You might have to alter the recipe slightly to meet your cat’s individual needs. If your cat has loose stools on this diet, lower the amount of peas and pumpkin and increase the amount of meat. Consult your vet before putting your cat on a diet.
- ¼ pound of ground chicken
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups of pureed canned pumpkin
- 1 can of peas, mashed
- 100mg taurine
- Slowly cook the chicken until tender.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix until well-combined.
Homemade cat food recipe 3: Tasty tuna
Adapted from Home Prepared Dog and Cat Diets by Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, PhD.
- 4 ounces tuna (canned in water, not oil)
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 crushed bonemeal tablets
- 1 crushed multivitamin tablet
- Thoroughly mix together all the ingredients, ensuring it’s easy for your cat to eat. Serve immediately.
Homemade cat food recipe 4: Rabbit stew
This should make a generous batch, so keep any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
- 250g rabbit meat, cut into bitesize pieces
- 20g of finely chopped sweet potato, carrots and peas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A sprinkle of thyme
- Unsalted vegetable stock
- Cook the rabbit over a low heat, in olive oil.
- Add the vegetable stock and herbs, bringing the mixture to the boil.
- Cook thoroughly, reducing the heat slightly.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for a further 45-60 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool before serving.
Homemade cat food recipe 5: Sumptuous salmon
Salmon has bags of health-boosting fish oil, so it’s a good idea to incorporate some fish meals into any homemade cat diet.
- 1 can salmon
- 2 tablespoons cooked broccoli, thoroughly mashed
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon brewer’s yeast
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve.
Homemade cat food recipe 6: Meat and oat feast
Adapted from Savvy Home Made.
- 1 cup oats
- 3 cups tap water
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 pound minced beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon well-chopped spinach
- Boil the oats until soft.
- Boil the egg.
- Once hard-boiled, remove the shell and mash the egg into the oats.
- In a frying pan, add the oil and beef and cook well.
- Add the beef into the oaty egg mixture and stir in the spinach.
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve once cool.
So, now you've got 6 delicious homemade cat food recipes, you can slowly transition some homemade goodness into your cat's diet! Remember, always consult your vet and make sure you're including a variety of foods which meet your cat's nutritional needs.
Alternative cat foodPet chef: 2 homemade recipes for the best cat treats
Alternative cat foodCan cats eat vegan food?
Alternative cat foodEverything you need to know about grain free cat food
Alternative cat foodWhy do cats eat grass?