Thirsty cat

Anonymous user
Anonymous user

My cat drinks loads of water, we think she has kidney problems. Is there any treatment available?

1 answer

Hi Ursitolliday,

Thankyou for your question and great that you have noticed them drinking alot of water. Are they showing any other abnormal behaviours beyond their typical repetoire? 

If your cat is drinking excessively, and they don’t have any other unusual symptoms, try thinking about the cause. Is your house very warm? Are they only eating dry food? Has their drinking increased because it’s summer?

If you can clearly put your cat’s excessive drinking down to an environmental factor, it’s enough to keep an eye on their general health and behaviour. As long as your cat is healthy and happy, and they’re getting plenty of fresh water when they want it, they should be fine. You might want to make a note of it and ask your vet at their next check-up, just to put your mind at rest.

Drinking increased amounts of water can be a sign of something more sinister such as: 

• Kidney disease
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Urinary tract disease

If you have ruled out environmental factors then I absolutely recommend you contact your local veterinary practice and have some tests run. The treatments will vary depending entirely on the cause of the the increased water intake! 

I wish you all the best!

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?