My dog doesn't drink enough water

baxtersdad
baxtersdad

According to a website my dog needs to drink about 1200ml per day but I think she's only drinking about half a litre. How do I get her to drink more? Is this website wrong? 

3 answers
Barkbuddybox
Barkbuddybox

The amount of water a dog needs can vary based on factors like size, diet, activity level, and weather. Generally, dogs should drink about 30-50 ml of water per kilogram of body weight per day. For example, a 20 kg (44 lb) dog might need around 600-1000 ml of water daily.

If your dog is only drinking about half a litre (500 ml) and the website Wamiz suggests she needs around 1200 ml, she may indeed be drinking less than recommended. Here are some tips to encourage her to drink more:

1. Fresh Water: Ensure fresh, clean water is available at all times. Change the water frequently to keep it appealing.
2. Multiple Bowls: Place water bowls in various locations around your home to make it easy for her to access water.
3. Flavor the Water: Add a small amount of low-sodium chicken or beef broth to the water to make it more enticing.
4. Wet Food: Incorporate wet dog food or add water to her dry food to increase her overall water intake.
5. Ice Cubes: Some dogs enjoy chewing on ice cubes, which can help increase their water intake.
6. Encouragement: Encourage your dog to drink by praising and rewarding her when she does.

Monitor her for signs of dehydration, such as dry gums, lethargy, or sunken eyes, and consult your veterinarian if you have concerns. Each dog's needs can differ, so it's essential to observe and adjust based on her individual requirements.

Reply to
baxtersdad
baxtersdad

Thanks my dog is nearly 20kgs but she's old and not that active. She doesn't seem to have signs of dehydration and has plenty of wet food.

Reply to
hazelwillia
hazelwillia

A dog requires an adequate intake of water to meet its fundamental bodily needs. Proper hydration supports normal bodily functions and helps maintain their energy levels. If your dog is not drinking enough water, it's important to address this issue, as dehydration can impact their health. Consider engaging in water-related activities with your dog to encourage better hydration.

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?