New pup. What to do first?

baxtersdad
baxtersdad

Hi all, what advice would you give someone who hasn't owned a dog before

3 answers
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi! That is such a broad question, is there anything in particular you'd like to know? 

If I could give you a single piece of advice from a personal stand point, it would be : be patient. Whether you're getting a puppy or an adult rescue, your dog will need training and time to settle in to their new home. They won't be the perfect pet right off the bat, and the bond may take time to develop. Just don't give up, hang in there! If you put in the time and effort, having a dog is one of the most rewarding experiences!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
baxtersdad
baxtersdad

Hi! That is such a broad question, is there anything in particular you'd like to know? 

If I could give you a single piece of advice from a personal stand point, it would be : be patient. Whether you're getting a puppy or an adult rescue, your dog will need training and time to settle in to their new home. They won't be the perfect pet right off the bat, and the bond may take time to develop. Just don't give up, hang in there! If you put in the time and effort, having a dog is one of the most rewarding experiences!

Thanks! yes it is a broad question but I don't really know where to start :)

Reply to
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hello again! Here are a couple of articles that might help you:

5 top tips for first-time dog owners

Getting a puppy: 13 things you need to know before getting a new puppy

What do I need to buy before my new dog or puppy arrives?

Don't hesitate if any other questions come to mind :)

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?