How does a dog act if

Sugarblue
Sugarblue

My dog consumes some chocolate and I'm not sure if it's been long enough for her to be showing the signs of toxicity so I need to know how dog acts when they do have chocolate toxicity

2 answers
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi there,

Signs of chocolate toxicity may appear anywhere from 6 to 12 hours after your dog has consumed chocolate. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased thirst, panting, restlessness, excessive urination, and a fast heart rate. In severe cases, you may see muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure. 

Toxicity depends on how much and what type of chocolate was eaten, as well as the size of your dog. Small dogs are more at risk, particularly if they've eaten dark chocolate, which contains more theobromine (the toxic chemical). 

If your dog has eaten a small piece of chocolate, there's probably no need to worry, but if you are concerned, it's best to call your vet for advice. And if your dog has eaten several pieces of chocolate, don't hesitate to bring them straight to the nearest vet clinic. Your vet will most likely make your dog throw up and give them charcoal to prevent theobromine from being absorbed in the body.

To learn more about what to do if your dog has eaten chocolate, please check out our article here. 

Hope your pup is ok! 

Kind regards,

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
Anawilliam850
Anawilliam850

When dogs consume chocolate, the toxicity level depends on the type and amount of chocolate ingested, as well as the size of the dog. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which can be toxic to dogs in large amounts. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity can include:

1. Vomiting
  2. Diarrhea
  3. Increased thirst
  4. Restlessness
  5. Hyperactivity
  6. Rapid breathing
  7. Muscle tremors
  8. Increased heart rate
  9. Seizures
  10. Death (in severe cases)

It's important to note that the signs of chocolate toxicity may not appear immediately, and may take several hours to several days to develop depending on the amount of chocolate consumed. If you suspect that your dog has consumed chocolate, it's best to contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately for advice on what to do next.

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?