How do I make my dog wear the boots

Matt-Keeper
Matt-Keeper

I recently purchased QUMY Rugged Dog Boots for my dog from   https://doggyshoe.com/waterproof-dog-rain-boots/. I needed a swimming shoe for my GSD because we keep on going on vacations, but now he is simply refusing to wear those. Whenever I put it on him, he throws them away. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

3 answers
jseraphin
jseraphin
  • Expert verified

Hi there!

Thanks for getting in touch!

Wearing boots can be a very strange sensation for dogs as they’re not used to having anything on their paws! Imagine you hadn’t worn shoes your whole life and suddenly you had to - it would feel weird right?

The best way to get your dog to comply with the boots is by taking it very, very slowly and using positive reinforcement all the way!

Start by simply letting your dog sniff the boots and praising him with a treat when he does. In addition, touch your dog's paws as much as possible to get him used to the sensation of having something on his feet.

Then, when your dog is calm (e.g. resting after a long walk), place a boot on his paw. Then remove it immediately, and give him a treat. Try this several times, and each time, leave the boot on your dog’s paw a little longer.

Next, you can try doing it with two boots at the same time. Remember to always use a happy, encouraging voice and to only take it at your dog’s pace.

Then you can start asking commands out of your dog while he’s wearing the boots (e.g. sit, heel, etc). Better yet, if your dog is playful, throw him a toy. This is a positive interaction, and will also distract him from the fact that he has something on his feet. Don’t do it for too long at first. But once he’s comfortable with it, you can try with all four boots on at the same time.

You don’t want to overwhelm your dog during this process by going too fast. Because of this, it could take weeks before he is actually comfortable wearing the boots - but your perseverance will be worth it!

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions.

Hope this helps!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Reply to
Matt-Keeper
Matt-Keeper

He

Hi there!

Thanks for getting in touch!

Wearing boots can be a very strange sensation for dogs as they’re not used to having anything on their paws! Imagine you hadn’t worn shoes your whole life and suddenly you had to - it would feel weird right?

The best way to get your dog to comply with the boots is by taking it very, very slowly and using positive reinforcement all the way!

Start by simply letting your dog sniff the boots and praising him with a treat when he does. In addition, touch your dog's paws as much as possible to get him used to the sensation of having something on his feet.

Then, when your dog is calm (e.g. resting after a long walk), place a boot on his paw. Then remove it immediately, and give him a treat. Try this several times, and each time, leave the boot on your dog’s paw a little longer.

Next, you can try doing it with two boots at the same time. Remember to always use a happy, encouraging voice and to only take it at your dog’s pace.

Then you can start asking commands out of your dog while he’s wearing the boots (e.g. sit, heel, etc). Better yet, if your dog is playful, throw him a toy. This is a positive interaction, and will also distract him from the fact that he has something on his feet. Don’t do it for too long at first. But once he’s comfortable with it, you can try with all four boots on at the same time.

You don’t want to overwhelm your dog during this process by going too fast. Because of this, it could take weeks before he is actually comfortable wearing the boots - but your perseverance will be worth it!

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any more questions.

Hope this helps!

Justine Seraphin, BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare

Hey Justin, 

Your help is highly appreciated. I am quite sure that by using your method I will make him wear those boots of his own will.

Reply to
Bhushan
Bhushan

Choose the right boots: Make sure you select the right size and type of boots that are comfortable for your dog. Look for boots that fit snugly but are not too tight or too loose. Also, make sure they have good quality and materials.

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?