Tips on healthy food for a fussy cat with few teeth

Catnan
Catnan

Hey

we recently adopted a 9 year old cat (2 months ago)

she's had quite a few teeth removed, last year, before we adopted her

i worry about her getting the right amount of food, she likes dry food, out of a puzzle bowl, so she doesn't guzzle too many, which can make her vomit, and we've tried her on loads of different wet food, from standard pouches, to pate and even soups

she will eat it one time then ignore it, she doesn't seem too keen on fish flavours, but will occasionally eat something that has fish in it or flavoured with fish, we tried cooked chicken, in tiny pieces, but she didn't eat that at all

she loves cat grass, but drinks very little water, she likes treats, such as Dreamies, which we give her one at a time, and lik-e -liks either straight from the tube or on a saucer

she is pooping once a day, we are surprised by how large they are tbh, but has no trouble pooping or peeing

does anyone have any suggestionsor advice?

Tina 

4 answers
brookemcfarlane
brookemcfarlane

Hi! Have you spoken to a vet about this? Maybe there's an underlying health issue, or she's in pain for some reason? 

If it's not a health problem, I would recommend Gourmet, that's what I use for my senior cats. They love the taste and there's lots of different textures available, including mousses which are great for cats with little teeth: https://www.purina.co.uk/brands/gourmet

I encourage my cats to eat by feeding them from my hand first and praising them when they do. From time to time, I buy appetite stimulants for them if I feel like they're not eating enough. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Reply to
Catnan
Catnan

Hey, thanks for replying

Good point about the vet, will check that out

mousses have been something she will eat, need to get packs without fish selections, in saying that she actually wolfed down a tuna soup from Sheba, buts that's why we love cats!

great advice, and thank you 🐾

Reply to
BridieWolff
BridieWolff

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Reply to
lucymartin
lucymartin

Hi! Have you spoken to a vet about this? Maybe there's an underlying health issue, or she's in pain for some reason? 

If it's not a health problem, I would recommend Gourmet, that's what I use for my senior cats. They love the taste and there's lots of different textures available, including mousses which are great for cats with little teeth: https://www.purina.co.uk/brands/gourmet

I encourage my cats to eat by feeding them from my hand first and praising them when they do. From time to time, I buy appetite stimulants for them if I feel like they're not eating enough. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Very helpful!

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?