Hip dysplasia in dogs

S
Sarahverri Icon representing the flag French
Report

Hello, I have a 15-month-old Boxer we absolutely adore. He’s been favouring his back right leg, so I asked the vet to take some X-rays. He told me it’s hip dysplasia, but just on the right side.

I’m really heartbroken about it; we loved going out for walks together.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem? Did it get worse over time?

The vet mentioned a femoral head and neck ostectomy (FHO). I was wondering if any of you have had this operation done on your dog and if it went well?

And what medication actually helps to ease the pain?

Thanks for any advice.

Translated from French
icon info

The forum content is sometimes translated from another language, and posts may concern countries with different animal laws. Do your research before making any decisions.

Since the forum is translated by AI, the translations may contain errors.

Would you like to give your opinion on the subject?

Write your message and upload a photo if you want to! Please remain courteous in your exchanges.

Your post will be visible to all members of the international Wamiz forum.

3 answers
Sort by:
  • S
    Sarahverri Icon representing the flag French
    Report
    Thank you so much for your replies. I don’t want him to be in pain, it’s really upsetting me, and at the same time I keep thinking that if I agree to this surgery and things go wrong, I’ll never forgive myself. It’s not easy, I just want to do what’s best for him.
    Translated from French
    ProvetoJuniorConseil
    Provetojuniorconseil Icon representing the flag French
    Expert verified
    Report

    Hello,

    It’s never easy to hear this kind of diagnosis, especially for a young dog. However, dysplasia isn't the end of the world and your Boxer will still be able to lead a happy life and enjoy plenty of lovely walks with you! Try to stick to regular, short walks on flat ground; it’ll do him a world of good :)

    Dysplasia is a progressive condition caused by the joint not fitting together properly, which leads to arthritis over time. If you take action now (whether medically or surgically), you can stabilise the situation and save him from any pain. Plenty of dogs live for many years with well-managed dysplasia.

    Regarding the femoral head and neck ostectomy, it sounds like a daunting operation on paper, but it yields very good results. It involves removing the part of the bone that rubs and causes the pain.

    There are other options for relief too, such as anti-inflammatories or dietary supplements.

    Take the time to have a proper chat with your vet, and don't hesitate to ask them any questions so you can make the best decision for your dog. I also hope you get to hear from others about their experiences to help guide your decision.

    Best wishes,

    Laure.

    Translated from French
    Kikaah
    Kikaah Icon representing the flag French
    Report
    You need to see what grade the dysplasia is and whether it’s worth going ahead with surgery or not. It’s a major operation and costs a lot of money, so it’s best to be sure. You can help manage it with swimming, making sure they stay lean, and giving supplements to slow down the onset of arthritis (like omega-3s...).
    Translated from French
  • 3 comments out of 3

  • Do you have a question? An experience to share? Create a post on our forum!