Considering Cat Insurance: Is it Necessary for New Cat Owners?

Danbolte
Danbolte

Hello fellow cat enthusiasts! πŸ‘‹ I'm on the verge of adopting a furry friend, and as a responsible future cat parent, I'm weighing the options when it comes to their well-being. One aspect that has caught my attention is cat insurance. I've heard varying opinions on whether it's a necessary investment for a new cat owner.

I'd love to hear about your experiences and insights regarding cat insurance. Have you opted for insurance for your feline companions? If so, what factors influenced your decision? Did it prove beneficial in unexpected situations, or did you find it to be an unnecessary expense?

On the flip side, if you've chosen not to get cat insurance, what led you to that decision? Have you found alternative ways to ensure your cat's health without relying on insurance?

Any advice, personal anecdotes, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this decision. I want to provide the best care for my future cat, and your input will undoubtedly help me make an informed choice.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences! 🐾😺

2 answers
aroundtheworldcarla
aroundtheworldcarla

Hi!

I'm personally a vet myself but also have a cat that is fully insured, so hopefully I can give you some input.

In my experience, I can see many benefits on insuring your new pet. Here in the UK veterinary treatment is getting more and more expensive each year. The problem is that sometimes, even something like vomiting or diarrhoea in a young cat, may lead your vet to perform blood tests, radiographies, which together with few medications, might easily reach already half a thousand pounds. If you have savings aside for your pet, that would probably help because in the majority of the places you need to pay up front. However, if you don't, most of the practices don't do payment plans. Some insurance companies may pay your vet directly especially in emergency situations, which I think is probably the best benefit of getting your pet insured. Also, as they get older, cats can suffer from kidney or thyroid conditions, as well as diabetes or dental disease (very expensive!!! and not all the insurance policies cover this), which can be pricey diseases to treat (as they involve on-going costs). It might not be something that you need to worry about straight away, however the typical recommendation is to stick to the same insurance company since the beginning, to avoid conditions to be excluded between different companies.Β 

You might never need to use your insurance company (which is a good thing) and therefore you might think that you are wasting your money if that's the case. However for me, as a pet owner, I find essential to be able to pay whatever is necessary, as soon as it is necessary (in an emergency situation), which sometimes is not possible if I don't have enough funds. It gives me that extra peace of mind. Also some insurance companies offer videocall consultations included as part of your policy, so sometimes you might not even need to take your pet to the vet if has an easy solution.

I hope this helps :)

Carla

Reply to
lucymartin
lucymartin

Yes this is good for new owners!

Reply to
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete this message?