Things You Can Do When Your Dog Gets Stung By A Bee

Majority of animals are fascinated by insects and love chasing them throughout the yard. Unfortunately, there are some that could cause severe harm including stinging bugs such as wasps and bees.

- Advertisement -

Most dogs suffer from stings on their face that may look funny, but are oftentimes quite agonizing. In some cases stings can be life threatening, especially if they occur in the dog’s mouth or throat.

If your dog is stung by a bee, here’s what you can do:

1. Get rid of the stinger.

Remove the stinger by scraping it with your fingernail or a rigid cardboard. Avoid using tweezers or forceps as these may force more venom out of the stinger.

- Advertisement -

2. Relieve the pain.

Applying a mixture of water and baking soda to the affected area will help reduce the pain. You can also wrap ice or an icepack in a towel to reduce pain and swelling. If you wish to administer antihistamines, it’s best to ask your vet first.

3. Keep an eye for allergic reactions

Observe your dog closely for signs and symptoms of allergic reactions such as weakness, breathlessness and inflammation near the affected area. In case these symptoms occur, notify your vet immediately.

4. When to seek vet treatment.

If your dog is showing allergic reactions, was stung several times or was stung in the mouth or throat, bring him to the vet right away.

- Advertisement -

It is difficult to prevent dogs from being stung by bees and wasps because of their playful and inquisitive nature. But you can avoid future stings by monitoring your pooch when he is playing in the yard, making sure she is far from flower beds where bees like to gather pollen and nectar.

Inspecting your home and yard for hives, being and staying aware of the signs and symptoms of a sting along with knowing how to react are your best courses of action in protecting your dog from stinging insects.