An innocent Pomeranian has lost both ears in a freak grooming incident in Hua Hin, eastern Thailand.
By Published on 11 Feb 2019
Diffy’s owner, who has remained unnamed, took the dog to a canine hair parlour to have his ears and tail dyed red. But after days of slow deterioration, it became clear that the procedure had gone horribly, horribly wrong.
Dye another day
In the forty minutes that Diffy’s silky fur, a naturally alluring shade of burnt sienna, was kept in foil, the dog’s ears began to droop. And despite claims that the groomer assured Diffy’s owner the flaps would regain their perkiness within a couple of days, they would never stand to attention again.
First, Diffy’s skin became red and started to flake. And then the unthinkable happened.
“My dog’s ear was itchy, burnt, turned black, cracked, and eventually fell off,” wrote the anonymous owner in an online plea for help.
The owner seems divided on who to blame for the incident, on the one hand writing ‘‘I don’t blame the grooming store but I blame myself for wanting to have his ears dyed,” and at the same time stating that “[t]he pet groomer put too much dye on him.”
An earful for the owner
But even if the groomer was caught literally ‘red-handed,’ the consensus is that Diffy suffered an allergic reaction to the dye – and the owner is to blame for their ‘irresponsible’ attitude towards human-canine companionship.
“Let this be a lesson to other dog owners. It is dangerous to dye your puppy’s fur,” said Neeyada Sirisampandh of Bangkok dog rescue group Mid Road Lover, as reported on The Hook. “This dog’s ear looks like it suffered an allergic reaction and was burned. Then it fell off. His ear is gone forever. It’s all the owner’s fault for trying to colour them.”
A spokesman for the RSPCA concurred: ‘Our pets are living creatures and dyeing them sends out a worrying message that they could be viewed as novelty accessories rather than as intelligent, sentient animals,’ they told The Metro.
After last year’s worrying trend of owners glitter-painting their dogs’ balls, let’s hope the human community learns their lesson – before something even more precious falls off.