If the dog is undoubtedly a man's best friend, the cat is probably just as much so. A study conducted by researchers in Oregon proved that cats get attached to their owners like a child to its parents... A strong relationship that explains why these balls of fur have conquered our hearts!
But before we delve into this topic, there are a few things you should know before adopting a cat or a kitten. Although a cat is easier to care for than a dog, the feline should not be left to its own devices and deserves all the attention it can get.
Questions to ask yourself before adopting
How will adopting a cat affect your daily life? There are several questions you should ask yourself before you decide whether you are ready to adopt a cat or a kitten:
- Have you ever had a cat in your life?
- Is the whole family willing to adopt a cat?
- Are there any cat allergies in your family?
- What will a cat bring to your life?
- Do you plan to educate your cat?
- Will your cat be able to go outside?
- What will you do with your cat when you go on holiday?
- Do you know how much money you need to spend on a cat?
- Are you aware of the cat and its lifestyle?
- Are you prepared to make changes to your environment to ensure that your home meets your cat's needs?
- Are you prepared to spend time with your cat to play on a daily basis?
The average cat lives 12-15 years (the lifespan of a cat changes significantly if it lives indoors or outdoors), and if you decide to adopt one, you will have to look after it for the rest of its life.
Where can I adopt a cat?
There are many places where you can get a cat, the ideal is to go visit rescue centres which are filled with little creatures who only dream of finding their home forever. You can also look on the internet but beware of scams. You can also ask for advice from a veterinarian, who will be able to give you his or her "best addresses".
If you wish to adopt a cat of a particular breed and with a prestigious pedigree, you should turn to an animal breeder.
So you’ve made your mind up and are ready to adopt a cat or a kitten? Then Wamiz invites you to discover which cat breed is right for you according to your zodiac sign!