Advertisement

Dog runs headfirst into grass: When he returns, his face is twice its normal size

Dog runs headfirst into grass: When he returns, his face is twice its normal size dog-wow
© IVY PHOTOS - Shutterstock

There are so many dangers to be aware of as dog owners. But this one is not so well known. Yet, it's all around us in parks and trails. Dog owners beware!

By Justine Seraphin

Published on the 09/08/2021, 19:00

A few days ago, dog owner Emma Ferrier’s step-dad took her Cocker Spaniel Hector for a walk at a Port Seton park.

As usual, the happy Cocker dove head-first into the park’s tall grass, having a blast as he ran around excitedly. 

 

Cocker Spaniel suffers intense allergic reaction

But the pleasant walk quickly turned into a nightmare. When the dog returned to his owner’s side, his face had swollen to twice its original size! The poor pup was pawing furiously at his face, and began going into anaphylactic shock.

Emma’s step-dad quickly rushed the dog the vet’s, where he was put on an IV drip for several hours. It was difficult for the vet to ascertain exactly what had caused the allergic reaction, but when Emma returned to the park, she understood immediately.

Giant hogweed and dogs

The park was filled with giant hogweed. Though it may seem pretty, the plant is actually quite toxic to humans and pets alike. Indeed, their stems contain a toxic sap, which can cause severe reactions when it comes in contact with skin. 

Thankfully, Hector made a full recovery. But Emma is on a mission to warn other pet owners about the dangers of the plant. Let’s hope no other dogs fall victim to its toxicity!