A month ago, Andy Robinson’s cat started acting lethargic and distancing herself from him. Shortly after, Andy started seeing blood in her urine, so he rushed her to the vet’s.
The cat, Electra, was diagnosed with feline pancytopenia, a condition of the bone marrow in which the number of red blood cells decreases. Symptoms include fever, bleeding gums, and nosebleeds.
A devastating conclusion
Sadly, Electra could not be saved by the vets. A week after being admitted, she died at the clinic while her owner was at home.
Devastated, Andy wants to spread the word about this brand of cat food to avoid the same thing happening to others. There have already been other reported cases with similar happenings in link with the cat food brand.
Sainsbury’s cat food recall
The brand in question is the Sainsbury’s Hypoallergenic dry cat food with salmon. If you have purchased food from this brand, you should immediately stop feeding it to your cat, and take it back to your nearest Sainsbury’s store where you will be given a full refund.
An investigation is still ongoing to find out exactly why this food is making cats sick. But in the meantime, better to be safe than sorry!