😺 Take the cat personality test NOW

Advertisement

Owner in mourning after cat comes into contact with common houseplant

Kitten playing with flower cat-sad
© Dimhou - Pixabay

The RSPCA has issued a warning about common houseplants after a kitten died from coming into contact with lilies. Its owner had no idea the flowers are so dangerous for cats.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 12/03/2021, 18:00

9-month-old Jasper lived in Croydon, London, with his cat mum Mya Sweeney. Mya told vets she'd received a bunch of lilies as a gift last month, but was unaware the flowers are toxic to cats. 

Jasper was always a fussy eater. So when he went off his food, Mya didn't think there was a problem. But three days later, Jasper started to seem really poorly.

Lilies aren't the only danger

Mya then rushed her furbaby to the vets, where blood tests confirmed Jasper was suffering from lily poisoning. The little guy fought as hard as he could. But he was just too sick and passed away a few days after. 

Mya doesn't know if Jasper ingested some of the lily pollen or if he just brushed up against the flowers. Either way is enough to make any cat seriously ill.

10 plants that are poisonous for cats

The RSPCA is now warning other owners about the dangers.

"Lilies are highly toxic to cats and ingestion of any part of the plant or flower can be fatal," said RSPCA branch manager Jacqui Jackson. "Lilies and other toxic plants should always be kept well away from cats or dogs and owners should call their vet immediately if they are concerned that their pet has ingested any plant or flower."

It also reminded cat owners about the dangers of other common household items, including alcohol, antifreeze, and aspirin. All are toxic to pets. 

When to call the vet

Lack of appetite, vomiting and diarrhoea, twitching, and breathing difficulties are signs that a cat may have been poisoned. If you notice any of these symptoms, or if they persist longer than usual, call a vet ASAP. 

See also: Woman warns pet owners after her cat nearly dies from touching common houseplant