Which dog breed is perfect for you?

Advertisement

Dog experts issue critical warning after winter walkies go horribly wrong

Dog walking in snow dog-serious
© danieleorsi - Shutterstock

Vets from the RSPCA are urging dog owners to take extra care when walking their pooches during icy spells due to potentially toxic grit on paths and roads.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 17/02/2021, 18:00

The warning follows a recent Facebook post that went viral. The images, shared by a veterinary nurse, shows the damage grit can do to our dogs.

In this case, grit had peeled away one of the dog's paw pads, leaving the little Chihuahua with a very painful looking injury. 

The RSPCA issues important warning to dog owners

But that's not the only concern for owners and their dogs. We all know that dogs have an "eat it now and see what happens later" approach to food. However, gritting salt is potentially toxic to dogs and may cause serious health problems if ingested.

The RSPCA reminded owners to keep a careful eye on curious pooches during winter walkies and take extra precautions when they get back in from the cold.

When to call a vet for your pooch

"Rock salt can be toxic to dogs and cats if they lick it from their paws or fur," said a spokesperson from the RSPCA. "Ingestion can cause vomiting and lethargy, and in severe cases kidney damage. The best thing to do is to thoroughly wipe your pet's feet, fur, and tummy after they have been outside."

The animal rescue service also advised fur parents to immediately contact a vet if they suspect a dog has eaten rock salt or grit. 

See also: Retriever starts digging in the snow, his owner can't believe what he finds