🐶 Find out your dog's personality


Warning: Malamute puppy poisoned after walk through Scottish beauty spot

The owners of a fifteen-week-old dog suspect it contracted sepsis shortly after coming into contact with a noxious substance during a walk near a vista in Lanarkshire.

By Nick Whittle

Published on the 26/10/2020, 21:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:24

Nova’s owners, who also provide a dog-walking service for other owners in the area, noticed her become poorly shortly after their return from a stroll along the Earnock nature trail. 

The Earnock trail follows the course of an old railway line to the east of Hamilton. It is popular with cyclists and walkers alike. 

Seriously ill

Shortly after returning home, Alaskan Malamute Nova became seriously ill, and an urgent trip to the vet revealed her to be suffering with sepsis. The dog’s owners supposed that she had at some point along the trail picked up something in her mouth. 

Determined to discover what had caused their dog to become poorly - and concerned for other the safety of other dogs - Nova’s owners scoured the path they had trodden.

So far their retracing has yielded nothing relevant.

Does your dog seem under the weather? Learn why your dog may vomit after drinking water

Shortly after Nova’s sepsis diagnosis, her owners took to their Facebook page in order to warn others of the potential danger. 

A warning 

“Stressful few days in our wee family,” writes one of the owners. “Little Nova ended up seriously sick, close to death if not for quick responses on our part. She had ingested or sniffed or drank something which was toxic which gave her Sepsis. This post isn’t for sympathy but more for awareness to everyone with a dog.”

Luckily, there have been no other reports of sick dogs after a visit to Earnock.