Trending :

Free vets online with code WAMIZ20

Advertisement

Owners rush dog to emergency vet when they realise what's dangling from his mouth

Vets are urging dog owners to be extra vigilant when walking their pooches near the water after an 8-year old Greyhound swallowed a discarded fishing hook.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 13/10/2020, 09:00

Sean the Greyhound is a lively pup who loves his daily walkies around the Portishead Marina in Somerset. So when Sean stopped being his usual self during a recent outing, his dog mum knew something was wrong.

"Sean was wandering around like he normally does," said Angela Reed-Fox in an interview with a local newspaper. "As Sean returned to us, he was making a strange gulping noise. He got closer, and we noticed a long orange wire sticking out of his mouth."

Sean gets rushed to the doggy hospital

The long orange wire was attached to a fishing hook Sean had swallowed. Some irresponsible person had discarded it on the floor after fishing off the marina.

Angela rushed Sean to the MyFamilyVets practice. But by the time they arrived, the wire coming out of Sean's mouth had shortened. It meant the hook was working its way further into Sean's body. With no other option, vets sent Sean into emergency surgery.

Get free online vet advice using the promo code WAMIZ20 here

Thankfully, the operation was a success, and Sean was allowed to go home the next morning. Sean was a little quiet for the first few days following the op, spending most of his time napping. But he's slowly getting back to his old self.

An important reminder to owners

MyFamilyVets practice shared the story on their Facebook page, along with this warning to dog owners:

"Please take care when walking your dog. Look out for littering hazards which your dog may mistake for a snack."