Warning to pet owners after dog narrowly escapes death after ingesting a slug
An animal charity is urging dog owners to be extra vigilant when their pet is outdoors after a Beagle almost died from ingesting a parasite in the garden.
Published on the 21/09/2020, 18:00
Slugs aren't just bad for the garden, but they can also be deadly to your dog if swallowed, something that one dog owner knows all too well. Jessie, a lovely four-year-old Beagle, was rushed to the Blue Cross animal hospital in London after she suddenly collapsed at her home.
Her owners had no idea what had caused Jessie to become so gravely ill, but it was clear that things were not looking good for her. After a series of tests, the vets discovered that Jessie had lungworm, which can quickly become deadly to a dog.
It's caused by a parasite that lives on snails, slugs, frogs or grass. Even consuming a tiny slug can lead to lungworm larvae growing in the dog. It can then travel to their heart and blood vessels and cause heart and breathing problems. Your dog may start coughing, become lethargic, have bleeding or unusual blood clots.
Protect your canine companions
While you should always keep an eye on your dog when they are outside, you can also help to prevent lungworm by washing your dog's outside toys and water bowls and giving them regular worming treatment.
In Jessie's case, the vets knew that the only way to save her was to act fast. So they immediately started her on a course of treatment. After several days of round the clock care, Jessie made a full recovery.
Frequently asked questions
What are worms in dogs?
Different types of worms can affect your dog’s health, such as roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, whipworms and lungworms. While some are more common than others, if you suspect your dog has worms you should get them seen by your vet as soon as possible.
Find out more about worms in dogs.
How can I tell if my puppy has worms?
Worms are not uncommon in puppies, but if left untreated, it can be fatal. Your puppy may have worms if you notice them scratching or rubbing their rear, they appear bloated and have diarrhoea and vomiting. You may also notice that they are losing weight despite their appetite increasing. If your puppy is displaying any of these symptoms, you should get them checked out by the vet as soon as possible.
Find out more about the signs your puppy has worms.
How to treat and prevent worms in dogs?
There are five types of worms that can affect a dog’s health and you should make sure you know which type your dog has before you begin treatment, you should get advice from your vet. Making sure you give your dog regular de-worming treatment and washing their outside bowls and toys should help them avoid getting worms in future.
Find out more about treating worms in dogs.