Trending :

Are you a pet expert? Take this quiz 🤓

Advertisement

Dog given emergency treatment after wolfing down face mask he found on street

Vets are warning dog owners about a new and unexpected side effect of COVID-19 lurking on our streets that could be deadly for your pet - if ingested.

By Zoë Monk

Published on the 15/09/2020, 18:00

In the age of COVID-19, wearing face masks has become the norm. You can’t go shopping without one. But dog owners are being warned about the dangers of not disposing of masks correctly.

Kobe, a Cocker Spaniel, was enjoying a walk with his owner when he came across a face mask on the ground. Before his owner could stop him, Kobe had gobbled it up.

Emergency treatment

His quick thinking owner rushed him to the Small Animal Hospital at the University of Glasgow. There, the greedy pup was given emergency treatment and was extremely lucky that the mask had not caused any serious damage. The mask contained a nose wire, which could have been deadly.

While Kobe had a lucky escape, other pups may not be so fortunate. If swallowed, a face mask could cause an intestinal blockage or severe stomach upset. The nose wire can also lead to stomach and oesophagal tears.

Owners urged to be vigilant

Staff are now using what happened to Kobe as a warning to other dog owners. They posted photos of the pup’s x-ray which showed the mask inside him. Fortunately, as the mask was small and flexible, staff were able to give Kobe an injection to make him vomit it up.

Kobe has thankfully bounced back from his ordeal and will hopefully stick to just wolfing down dog treats in future.

Find out everything you need to know about the adorable Cocker Spaniel breed!