😺 Take the cat personality test NOW


Dog licks owner’s hands, then suddenly starts having a seizure

large cream coloured dog sleeping dog-serious
© Sarah Brown - Facebook

A dog fell critically ill after coming into contact with cocoa butter, a common ingredient in hand creams. Now its owner is warning others about this potential danger.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 18/06/2020, 18:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:27

When Sarah Brown's beloved fur baby, Blondie, began having seizures, she didn't have time to think about the cause.

It was a close call, but Blondie pulled through

Instead, she rushed Blondie to the vet, where the dog received emergency treatment.

Blood tests then confirmed that Blondie had suffered a severe allergic reaction to cocoa butter.

Cocoa butter is a common ingredient in many hand creams. And, unfortunately, Sarah had used one of these creams just a few minutes before giving Blondie some strokes and cuddles.

Get an expert opinion. Here's what you should if your dog has a seizure.

Sarah decided to share the story on Facebook. She hopes it will prevent other owners from making the same mistake. She even included a picture of the cream she used.

"WARNING DOG OWNERS,"  posted Sarah. "Our Blondie had a terrible seizure. We thought we were going to lose her. It turns out she had a reaction to my hand cream."

Blondie is still poorly, but she is back at home and expected to make a full recovery.

So check the ingredients in your hand creams, then make sure you share this story with as many people as possible. You could save a dog's life.