It was 2017. Cocker Spaniel Gilly joined his family for a summer BBQ. All was well until the next morning when Gilly complained of pain in his groin. Over the course of the next few months his symptoms worsened, and Gilly, clearly distressed, was forced to visit a vet.
The dog’s diagnosis was irritation caused by a grass seed or other foreign body, but no one practitioner was 100% certain. And so in truth, after having him checked over numerous times, and incurring a whopping £3000 vet bill, Gilly’s family was none the wiser about the cause of his discomfort.
Two years and counting
Fast forward to 2019 and Gilly’s pain continued unabated until owner Karen Fergusson noticed a hole in Gilly’s side from which protruded something that looked like a piece of wood.
She rushed the dog to another vet who scanned Gilly’s body and discovered a long kebab skewer lodged inside the dog’s abdomen. Fortunately the skewer had missed all of Gilly’s vital organs, but it had sat lodged inside the poor dog for two years.
An urgent operation to remove the wooden stick was performed.
Now ten years old, Gilly is back to his old self and enjoying a new lease of life.