Vets issue warning after dogs seriously injured by bone marrow
Vets in the United States and Canada continue to express concerns to dog owners about the dangers of marrow bones after a spate of injuries in 2015.
Published on the 04/06/2020, 10:00
Wasson Memorial Vets in California was one of the first practices to warn of the likelihood of a marrow bone becoming lodged in a dog’s jaw. They posted pictures of one of their patients admitted to the practice with the marrow bone trapped behind the canine teeth of the upper and lower jaw.
Marrow bones have been a staple of doggy treat time for decades. Most dogs enjoy not only the flavour of the marrow but also the action of grinding their teeth against the bone.
However, due to their makeup, a dog’s snout - if thin enough – can pass clean through the hollow centre.
The Animal Rescue Site reported on another such case in Canada. Emergency services in North York were less than impressed with the owner however after she called in at a fire station demanding a crew removed the bone for her.
Dr. Jonathan Bloom told City News, “You see it quite frequently. They’ll come in with these marrow bones wrapped around their lips and lower jaw.
“The problem is, the bone gets stuck on the dog’s large fang teeth (canines) and when the lips swell, it locks the bone in place around the lower jaw.”
If you will allow your dog a marrowbone, the message from vets is: be vigilant, and take the bone away once the marrow has been completely removed.