😺 Take the cat personality test NOW


Warning to Swansea dog owners after dogs die from ingesting rat poison

Dog walkers dog-serious
© Pixabay

Dog owners in Swansea are being urged to be extra vigilant following a spate of dog poisonings in the area that is believed to have killed at least four dogs.

By Zoë Monk

Published on the 20/02/2020, 19:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:32

Within just 24 hours, four dogs have died after they have ingested rat poison. It is believed that the dogs were affected after visiting Clyne Gardens and Loughor estuary, popular dog walking areas.

The source of the rat poison remains a mystery and South Wales Police is urging dog walkers to be extra vigilant and report any concerns to the local authority or RSPCA.

Poor Pepper

These warnings have come too late for Natalie Whitelock. She has been left devastated after her beloved pup Pepper, a Miniature Schnauzer, sadly died from ingesting suspected rat poison during a dog walk. The poor pup suffered renal failure before her little body eventually shut down completely.

Get help immediately

Animals can ingest poison just by licking it off their paws or fur. If you believe your dog or any other pet may have been poisoned, it is crucial that you remain calm, remove your pet from the source of the poison and contact your vet immediately. Vomiting, depression, fatigue, poor coordination, difficulties breathing and seizures are all signs of possible poisoning.

If you have any concerns about animal welfare call the RSCPA's 24-hour advice and cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Find out all the information you need to keep your dog fit and healthy.