Marianne Whyte, from Christchurch, New Zealand, came home late one night.
She immediately noticed that something was wrong with her dog.
Scared and confused
It seemed as though he didn't recognise her. The next day, when the dog-sitter watched him, she reported that he had spent the day hiding under the bed – a very unusual behaviour for a normally happy, go-lucky dog.
Marianne realised that her dog had begun acting strange when she had started using her essential oil diffuser in the house. Instinct told her to turn it off, but she still wanted to get her Shih-Tzu checked by the vet.
Essential oil toxicity
And the vet confirmed her fears: Tea Tree oil is extremely toxic for dogs. Luckily, her dog's liver was still in perfect health, so all he needed was a little fluid before he was back on his feet.
However, Marianne wanted to make sure all other dog owners knew of the dangers of essential oils, especially because the vet said these types of cases were becoming increasingly common.
She therefore posted her story on Facebook, with a particularly useful list of the type of essential oils that are dangerous for pets:
- Anise (Pimpinella anisum)
- Birch (Betula)
- Bitter Almond (Prunus dulcis)
- Boldo (Peumus boldus)
- Calamus (Acorus calamus)
- Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Cassia (Cassia fistula)
- Chenopodium (Chenopodium album)
- Cloves (Syzygium aromaticum)
- Garlic (Allium sativum)
- Goosefoot (Chenopodium murale)
- Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana)
- Hyssop (Hyssopus sp. with the exception of Decumbens)
- Juniper (Juniperus sp. with the exception of Juniper Berry)
- Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
- Mustard (Brassica juncea)
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
- Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
- Red or White Thyme
- Rue (Ruta graveolens)
- Santolina (Santolina chamaecyparissus)
- Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
- Savory (Satureja)
- Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
- Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Terebinth (Pistacia palaestina)
- Thuja (Thuja occidentalis)
- Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)
- Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
The informational post is clearly appreciated, as it has already been liked over 11,000 times!
We are glad this lucky pooch made it out of his ordeal, and hope pet owners will start taking notice of this very dangerous house item!