A Macedonian dog surprised rescuers after recovering from a case of mange that had begun to threaten his life. Today, he couldn't look more different than when he was saved!
By, 2 Jan 2020
In January of this year Saving Macedonian Strays (SMS) received Louie. He was malnourished, dehydrated and in a great deal of discomfort due to mange.
Locals had neglected the dog and refused to have it treated because, they believed, he was spreading disease to other animals in the area. Some locals even beat Louie when he got too close.
In reality Louie was no more of a risk to livestock and other pets than any other dog, and he was in dire need of treatment. Their failing to care for the dog would eventually have led to his dying painfully and alone.
SMS to the rescue
SMS began to treat Louie straight away. Mange is a disease caused by parasitic mites. The bugs crawl beneath the surface of the skin causing the host animal to scratch itself raw. In time, infections of the skin, if left untreated, kill the host.
SMS knew the dangers Louie faced. The dog had scratched away almost all of the fur he could reach. They invested time and money in Louie's care and nursed him back to health.
A foreign saviour
As soon as SMS was confident that Louie's health was improving, workers contacted Elizabeth Bell, head of the Penny Jones Animal Hospice in Cumbria, England.
Ms Bell was only too pleased to have been asked to rehome such a brave dog. She returned to the UK in due course accompanied by Louie.
"When he was rescued I thought he would really struggle to find a home so I offered to give him a home whatever happened," she told The Metro. "He had no hair and looked terrible."
"Now he's a bear of a dog. He was very shy but he just changed instantly into a big playful puppy. A big gentle giant of a dog."
Louie is now a happy dog with a forever family. The murky path he once trod - full of cruelty and pain - is well and truly forgotten.