Which dog breed is perfect for you?


Dog loses both ears after dye job goes terribly wrong

Diffy's ears fell off shortly after the dye job dog-angry
© Ampaipan Wachaporn - Facebook

A dog lost both his ears after a trip to the groomers went horribly, horribly wrong. Now owners are being warned against unnecessary 'beauty' treatments for their pooches.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 13/12/2019, 16:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:36

Diffy was a regular at the local dog salon in Hua Hin, Thailand. The super-cute Pomeranian usually went in for a quick trim and a little extra pampering.

A dye job goes wrong

But then his unnamed owner decided Diffy needed a new 'look,' so she asked the puppy stylist to dye her pet's ears bright red!

They agreed, applied the dye, and waited.

Forty minutes later, things took a downward turn.

Diffy's upright ears began to droop, and her owner started to worry. She asked the stylist if this was a normal reaction and was assured that her pet's ears would regain their natural perkiness within a few days.

But that didn't happen. In fact, things got much worse! The skin turned increasingly red and flaky. And then the worst thing happened. Diffy's ears fell off!

Sharing her story in social media, the woman said:

"Before the dye, my dog's ears were up. But after I went to the pet store and the dog stylist coloured his ear with aluminium foil for 40 minutes without heat, I took him home, and his ears turned out like this."

She even posted a picture of a severed ear on Facebook.

The image certainly divided opinion. Many pooch lovers expressed their sympathy for little Diffy, while others were more concerned with criticising the owner for such 'irresponsible' behaviour.

It seems like Diffy had an allergic reaction to the dye, even though it was deemed 'pet-friendly.'

Pets are not accessories

The RSPCA is now reminding people of the dangers of accessorising pets. A spokesperson said:

"These dyes can be dangerous, and the experience of being dyed can be stressful for our pets who do not understand what is happening."

After reading this story, we definitely won't be decorating our pets' ears this Christmas! Or at any other time of the year for that matter!