Keep your pets safe this winter: Vets warn about grit danger to dogs!

Ingesting grit can make your dog very sick dog-serious
© Pixabay

With the winter months upon us, an animal welfare specialist is warning pooch owners about the dangers of the potentially toxic grit spread across icy roads and paths.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 05/12/2019, 20:00, Updated on the 19/12/2019, 15:22

Grit is a common sight on British streets during the winter months. The rock salt creates a layer over the ice, preventing cars from sliding over the roads and people slipping up in the street.

Good for us, bad for our pets

But while it helps keep us safe, the grit poses several potential dangers to our pooches.

Many owners remain unaware of the risks, which is why one vet from Edinburgh is using the power of social media to spread the word.

Writing on the ICR Veterinary Surgeons' Facebook page, the canine doctor said:

"Beware dog owners. Salt and sand are being placed on streets and walkways. This can cause irritation and discomfort to dogs. In bad cases, it can cause tissue dehydration and damage."

There's also some post-walkies advice for owners:

"Remember to wash your dog's paws with some warm water when coming back from a walk."


Beware Dog owners. Salt and Sand is being placed on streets and walkways. This can cause irritation and discomfort to...

Posted by ICR Veterinary Surgeons on Friday, November 29, 2019

The point was reinforced by the RSPCA, the UK's largest animal charity.

They added that the grit could also be dangerous if your dog licks its paws. If ingested, it may cause sickness, diarrhoea, and severe health complications, including kidney failure.

Life-saving advice

An RSPCA spokesperson said:

"The best thing to do is to thoroughly wipe your pet's feet, fur and tummy after they have been outside. If you believe your pet has ingested rock salt, then contact your vet immediately."

The RSPCA deals with hundreds of these cases every year, including a handful of fatalities. So don't forget to wipe your pooch's paws this winter. It could save their life.