Most cat owners put a lot of time and thought into naming a new kitten or cat. But sometimes deciding on that perfect name isn’t always so easy. Often personal preferences play a role, but at least cat owners don’t have the pressure that dog owners experience finding a practical dog name they don’t mind calling out in a public park.
Popular female feline names
The most popular female cat name for 2019 was Luna, which was also the most popular name last year. Also making the top 10 are Bella, Daisy, Mille and Molly.
Rachel Saunders, Battersea’s Cattery Manager told Country Living:
"Most of our female cats share their names with humans, which really goes to show how much they are seen as our equal.
"Sometimes cats come into Battersea with names already that they’re used to, and we give names to any stray cats that come through our gates. Once a cat has been re-homed, their new owners can call them by any name they choose."
While names like Misty, Tiger or even Kitty were hugely popular in previous years, owners seem to now be preferring less traditional names for their female felines.
"It seems that rather than calling cats traditional pet names - like Fluffy - owners are instead choosing more traditional human names. It could be influenced by favourite characters from TV shows, or it could be that pet owners are just giving their cats strong sounding names to match their personalities!” Rachel added.
Top 10 list
Is your cat's name on the top 10 list?
Cat names in 2020
If you are wondering what cat names will make next year’s list, Rachel says: "We don’t know for sure but we are definitely seeing more and more old-style names for our female cats, and would expect this trend to carry on to next year."
Quick tips for choosing cat names
If you are hoping to get a cat but not sure what name to choose, here are few tips to help:
- Choosing a cat name that is short with only one or two syllables will make it easier to call their name. If you prefer a longer name, think about what the short version will be.
- You should aim for a cat name that easily rolls off your tongue so make sure it’s something you can easily pronounce.
- Take some time to learn your new cat’s personality and use this to inspire a suitable name.
- Thinking about their breed could give you some inspiration for a feline-friendly name.
- Think about if there is a certain famous person, film, TV, book or even cartoon character you particularly like.