Alcohol is not meant for animals so it surprised us to learn that a sip or two of vodka saved this little kitty's life after she ingested anti-freeze!
By, 24 Nov 2019
One very poorly cat
When this very poorly little black cat was found on the streets of Lowodd in Australia, rescuers weren’t sure how best to help her. It turned out she’d imbibed anti-freeze and the effects were almost sure to be fatal.
Anti-freeze can be appealing to animals because of its sweet taste, it’s why it’s so important to keep it out of reach of animals.
An unconventional life saver
Rescuers took her to the vet who immediately saw how serious things were, her kidneys were failing and it was likely that she would die within the hour. Thankfully, the vet knew a rather unconventional method: alcohol.
It seems that alcohol is one of the very few antidotes to anti-freeze and one of the veterinarian team had some vodka in her cupboard, presumably for such cases (we’re passing no comment otherwise!).
The poorly little cat was put on a vodka drip, a tiny amount at a time and slowly but surely, the posion was neutralised and the cat returned to health.
Back to health
After a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast, the little black kitty seemed full of life once more. Rescuers have named her tipsy on account of her supping activities.
We wish little Tipsy a speedy recovery and hope she sticks to drinking water and the odd saucer of cream from now on!
Take a look at the news vid of her story here:
Tipsy, the cat saved by Vodka, gets another life!
Remember Tipsy, the cat saved by vodka? Well he didn’t have to wait long to find his furever home! On Monday he’s jet setting to his new owner in Cairns <3. We couldn’t be happier for this cool cat! If you’re looking for your purrfect companion, find out who is waiting for you at the RSPCA today: www.rspcaqld.org.au/adopt. Ten News Read Tipsy’s story here: http://bit.ly/2enqhGkPosted by RSPCA Queensland on Thursday, August 31, 2017