British woman falls in love with earless stray cat of Corfu
A Northumberland woman, who adopted a stray cat from Greece, now hopes to bring another of the animals back to the UK. Learn more about Molly Grice’s love of Corfu cats.
Published on the 22/10/2019, 11:00
Miss Grice from Alnwick had already adopted one stray following her stay on the Greek island of Corfu. On her recent return, another has caught her eye: an earless moggy called Athena.
Grice was shocked by the number of stray cats on the island; many of which were sick or clearly starving.
“They were everywhere, a lot of them were starving, injured, eating out of bins,” she told The Chronicle.
Although the 22-year-old had come to the end of her first stay, she contacted a local shelter and began to put into motion her adopting a cat called Ophelia.
“She was this tiny kitten who had been living with her mum and siblings near a busy road and all but her and her brother had been killed on the road.
“I saw her picture and I just fell in love with her."
Grice is now on a mission to save another of the Corfu cats. Athena was found worse for wear by a tourist who reported their find to the Corfu authorities. Her ears were removed when vets discovered both to be riddled with cancer.
Corfu cat problem
Strays litter mainland Greece and its islands. Various steps are being taken by the Greek government to reduce the number, but years of improper control and a lack of education of owners have led to overpopulation. Many are sick and injured, diseased or starving, and others become the victim of unhappy locals who poison the cats by cruel methods.
But be warned
Although Grice hopes to inspire other animal-lovers to adopt from abroad we think it is always worthwhile considering UK adoption shelters first. Cats (not necessarily from Corfu) which are kept abroad in shelters are not covered by the same health guidelines applied to UK shelters.
Despite their having “appropriate” vaccinations many will still carry parasites and viruses. If cats (and dogs) unchecked are allowed into the UK these unseen dangers could jeopardise the health of our indigenous pets.