Trending :
wamiz-v3_1

Advertisement

Video shared as warning : Dog eats cannabis cookie found on walk, falls seriously ill

Billy the dog falls sick after eating biscuit
© Sarah Eccles - Facebook

A dog owner has shared a shocking video of her poor little dog after he became seriously ill from eating something he found on the ground during a dog walk.

By Zoe Monk, 24 Sep 2019

Billy, a six-year-old Spaniel-Bichon Frise cross was out walking with his owner in Lancashire. He came across something that looked like food on the ground and did what most dogs would do, and ate it.

But what he ate wasn’t really food. As his owner was to discover, Billy had eaten a cannabis edible.

 

So this evening, after a walk on Worden Park, we made our way home along Parkgate Drive. Billy, our dog, pictured below...

Posted by Sarah Eccles on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Effects of the drugs

Within two hours, Billy couldn’t stand up and had started to have fits.

Billy’s worried owner, Sarah Eccles, watched as her beloved pooch swayed back and forth, had bloodshot eyes and was obviously experiencing some form of psychoactive effect from the drug.

Horrified by what was happening to Billy, Ms Eccles phoned the emergency vet who advised her to bring him in immediately. By the time Sarah and Billy arrived at the vet, Billy was suffering tremors, had lost control of his bladder and his heartbeat had become dangerously slow.

Twitching and fitting

The vet gave Billy an injection which induced vomiting in the hope of getting the drugs out of his system. They also put an IV line into him to give him essential fluids.

Billy was kept at the vets overnight for close supervision.

Ms Eccles told the Independent how frightening it was to see the effects the cannabis had on her little dog. She said: “He began twitching and fitting. He couldn’t stand up and even when he was sat on the vinyl flooring in the vets, his legs just splayed out.”

Warning to other dog owners

Ms Eccles has released a video of Billy that shows him experiencing the aftermath of eating the drug to warn other dog owners.

She added: “To other pet owners, just be vigilant. If unsure, seek medical advice immediately. The vet warned us that had we left it to linger – it had been over four hours since he had eaten the cannabis when we sought help – the outcome may have been very different.”

Shocking video

The video shows little Billy swaying and looking 'stoned' by the effects of the cannabis.

 

 

Posted by Sarah Eccles on Saturday, September 14, 2019


Along with the video, Ms Eccles posted that Billy had simply “gulped down” part of two chocolate cookies lying in the grass at their local park. She had picked up one of the biscuits as she made her way to the vets. Ms Eccles later returned to the park to throw away the rest of the biscuits.

“Laden with cannabis”

Ms Eccles said the cookie was “laden” with cannabis. She said the smell made it obvious what was in it.

The substance in cannabis that gives the psychoactive effects is called THC and in some rare cases, it can be fatal to dogs. While people get high from THC, dogs get poisoned and, in some cases, can die from the overdose.

Warning signs

Fortunately, Billy has recovered from his ordeal. But Ms Eccles wants other dog owners to be able to spot the warning signs when an animal has ingested cannabis.


Sian Smith, the vet who treated Billy, added: “Cannabis can be really harmful to dogs and with baked goods, chocolate is toxic to them as well, so we would always advise owners to seek immediate medical attention.

“Treatment very much depends on how much they’ve eaten – and how long ago since they ate it. If it happened very recently, we can give an emetic injection to make them sick.”

Seek urgent medical attention

If owners suspect their dogs have consumed something like cannabis, Ms Smith urges them to seek medical help straight away.

She said: “But if it’s after a few hours, it will already be digested, and we have to explore supportive treatment options. It’s important to seek medical advice as soon as possible”.