Devoted vet sleeps in kennel with dog severely burnt in fire to comfort him
Taka, a dog, who lived with his family, was caught in a house fire. The family were unable to reach him so unfortunately left him behind. The fire almost ended his life.
Published on the 15/09/2019, 18:00, Updated on the 19/12/2019, 15:23
Taka was inside a screened porch when the fire first began. Upon discovering the house was on fire, and that he was all alone, Taka decided to try and escape the house himself. He didn’t give up on trying to get out.
A lucky escape!
Luckily, he got out and ran out on to the street. However, he was severely burnt. As he wandered the streets, a neighbour found him and immediately rushed him to an emergency vet nearby.
Emily Martin, a vet at the Care More Hospital in Georgia, said “He had burns around his eyes, his mouth, his ears, his belly.
“We really didn’t know how severe his injuries were initially, just because we had to worry about inhalation burns."
The veterinary team decided to take him to the University of Georgia to have oxygen treatments.
Unfortunately, Taka’s eyes were damaged beyond repair.
Taka was in a painful situation. Emily said “I try to treat my patients all the same, but his case pulled at my heartstrings a bit more.
“When he came in, he was screaming from pain … but he calmed down the moment you sat with him and started singing to him."
When the family were told of the intensive care he would need, they decided it was best for him to stay with Emily.
Taka is slowly getting better
Emily knew that taking care of Taka would make him feel safe and loved. Because they were both exhausted from being awake all night, Emily and Taka took a nap together in one of the kennels.
Taka has been through a tough situation, but he is on the road to recovery. Whilst Emily is unable to take care of him forever, she is ensuring that this dog, who is kind and gentle, will find a forever home with a supportive family. Anyone would be lucky to have Taka as a fluffy best friend.
DOG & CAT NEWSMaradona has died, and left behind a recently adopted puppy